We started by gathering empty toilet paper tubes, black and white paint, paintbrushes, craft foam in yellow and black, googly eyes, scissors and white glue. I hadn't originally planned on it, but we ended up using a glue gun to attach the wings.
First, we painted white ovals on the front of the toilet paper tubes. We let that dry (it only took about 5 minutes), then painted the rest of the tube black. We painted the top 2 inches of the inside of the tube black so that the bare cardboard wouldn't show (no need to paint lower than that- it won't show). Here are the finished tubes- mine is on the left and Trevor's is on the right.
Next, we used the foam to cut out two wings (black), a beak (yellow), and two feet. Here are mine:
Trevor opted for more chicken-like feet. His were much harder to cut out, but he did a great job.