The sewing machine was still out from Trevor's tablesetting project, so I decided to tackle something that's been on my to-do list for awhile.
As I've mentioned many times, I don't really know how to sew. I've made some Halloween costumes over the years, most recently Trevor's knight costume. It was nothing but a giant rectangle with a cut-out hole for his neck, yet it still was a major challenge for me.
I wanted to make one of those bag holder things. Do you know what I'm talking about? It's basically a cylinder with ribbon on the top and elastic on the bottom. As you get plastic bags, you stuff them in the top and when you need a plastic bag, you pull one from the bottom. Even I can sew a cylinder!
I started with a white kitchen towel, made pockets on the top and bottom, then threaded ribbon through the top and elastic through the bottom. I pinned the elastic in place, then pinned the wrong sides of the dishtowel together to form my cylinder.
Oops. Apparently if you're going to sew through 4 layers of towel you might want to use a special needle.
I replaced the needle, finished sewing, and turned my bag right-side out. Yea! It actually looks like I'd imagined it would!
And now, for the Before and After. This is where we store all of Trouble's care items- comb, nail clippers, treats, and plastic bags for cleaning out his litterbox.
... and after!
I can't believe how many plastic bags I was able to squeeze into my new bag holder! Very exciting!
Very cool!! I loveeeeeee it!!!ReplyDelete
AWEsome project! Looks so tidy :) Super job Cindy!ReplyDelete
I think you did great! This looks awesome and the place looks so much neater! Yay! :)ReplyDelete
Excellent job, Cindy! You are getting so adventurous!ReplyDelete
Yay! So much neater!ReplyDelete
Nicely done. Noticed the size on the broken needle. Lesson learned:) I've been wanting to make a bag holder for our kitchen, but never thought to use a towel...ingenious!ReplyDelete
So that's what broke the sewing machine needle!! :) Super cute!! Love how it turned out!!ReplyDelete
Congrats on your success. Great early sewing project.ReplyDelete