So instead of using a pattern, Trevor and I cut out our monkey pieces freehand. We started by folding a piece of brown paper in half, then cutting an oval from it (keeping a bit of the fold intact). We cut out a circle and two small D-shapes from the dark brown. We used light brown to cut a small oval, a pear shape, and two teeny D-shapes. We gathered brown pipe cleaners and cut one of them into thirds. Here are my supplies:
To make the monkey, open the large oval and lay the full-sized pipe cleaners on one side so that they cross like an X. Glue them in place. Add glue to the other side of the oval and close it up, hiding the X.
Staple the pipe cleaners in place, reaching as close to the center of the X as possible.
Assemble the head, using all the remaining cut pieces of paper.
Attach the head to the body, then glue the tail in place. Add facial features. Bend arms and legs and find a fun place to hang your monkey. Here's mine:
We moved it to the chandelier. It looks awesome there. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the monkeys up long after the Zoo Party is over.